The Keys to Quality in Offshore Teams
Distributed teams and remote offices aren’t going away. But can quality be ensured when your people aren’t just down the corridor?
We at DSS know it can because we have a history of building quality into our outsourcing solutions.
Our view: your offshore team should be a logical extension of your organization. Most staff these days talk to each other via Messenger, WhatsApp and Slack, rather than get up and walk over to their desks. Why should it be any different if they’re in another country?
Quality assurance needs to be embedded across your entire organization from day-to-day management to sales, human resources, project delivery, software delivery and so on.
It’s critical that your offshore partner has a real-time consultative approach and can work from top-down and bottom-up — from management to staff and then back up again. This will ensure that direct feedback is received from all levels of the business and action is taken when and where necessary by the right people.
This translates into active management and monitoring.
- Measure delivery and it’s quality. This can be measured with KRA and KPI, the number of defects raised per sprint, monthly scorecards, retrospective data fed into a master learning database, continuous improvement models, etc.
- The right leadership. This can be measured in direct and indirect feedback from the direct client and staff feedback to anonymous feedback, self-feedback and so on.
- The right people, measured through feedback from clients, team leaders and peers, and by data such as how many tickets are been closed within estimates.
- The right technology. The question here is: does your technology meet your needs? Look for a partner that can help you to take advantage of technology evolutions.
- Do you have the right policies and process to deliver quality?
At its most basic, ensuring quality in your offshore team is about teamwork, not only with your team members but with your offshore partner. Plan for quality, work at it constantly and measure it. Do these things and yes, you will get the results.
The right outsourcing partner will make all the difference to your business. Want to know more? Start the conversation with us at [email protected].
Anthony Moore is DSS Asia’s Client Delivery Director. He has 27 years of successful experience credited with program management and project management throughout Asia and Europe.